Report a Concern
Information about the Concerns Report
Information about the Concerns Report
CONTACT UNIVERSITY POLICE (504-865-5911) or NEW ORLEANS POLICE (911) IMMEDIATELY IF THIS IS AN EMERGENCY.
Tulane has a centralized online report form for complaints and concerns which is the primary, and preferred, method for submitting any report of concern about a student and his or her behavior, including but not limited to conduct that may violate the Code of Student Conduct. This system allows for efficient routing of concerns to the appropriate office, as well as tracking follow-through on a concern.
If you are aware of conduct that violates the Code of Student Conduct or that otherwise causes you concern, we encourage you to file an online report. Whether you wish to file a report regarding conduct or any another concern, the report allows the appropriate offices to address concerning behavior.
Tips for Good Reporting
- Include specific details to show us why you feel that somebody's actions are weird, alarming, threatening, etc.
- body language / postures
- tone / volume of voice
- personal space invasions
- language used
- focus of attention
- method of communication
- information about the location, layout, or physical environment that is appropriate
- Provide supporting documentation, when available. This may include such things as e-mails, photographs, audio or video recordings, text messages, social media screen shots, etc.
- Document appropriate time-lines if this is an on-going issue. When did you first notice the behavior? What has happened over time?
- When possible, try to use proper names rather than pronouns to avoid confusion.
- Paint as complete a picture as possible, but avoid reporting conjecture, hearsay, rumors without supporting information, etc.
- Keep in mind that the student may be entitled to view a copy of the report (redacted to protect privacy when appropriate), specifically if the behavior will be addressed through the Office of Student Conduct.
- Forms should be filled out with complete, accurate and specific information when known. Please know that reporting anonymously, or with incomplete or inaccurate information, may impair or delay the University's ability to take the appropriate action needed.
You may file a report anonymously, but it is important to know that doing so may make it difficult for the appropriate office to effectively follow-up on the information provided in the report.
Campus Security Authority
“Campus security authority” is a Clery Act-specific term that encompasses four groups of individuals and organizations associated with Tulane University:
An official of an institution who has significant responsibility for student and campus activities, including, but not limited to, student housing, student discipline and campus judicial proceedings. An official is defined as any person who has the authority and the duty to take action or respond to particular issues on behalf of the institution.
A campus police department or a campus security department of an institution. All individuals who work for the Tulane University Police Department are campus security authorities.
Any individual or individuals who have responsibility for campus security but who do not constitute a campus police department or a campus security department (e.g., an individual who is responsible for monitoring the entrance into institutional property). Including individuals such as those who monitor access into a campus facility or housing, act as event security, such as for sporting events or large, registered parties, or escort students around campus after dark (including other students).
Any individual or organization to which Tulane has indicated students and employees should report criminal offenses.
If your concern involves suspected Hazing, please use the anonymous texting line at 504-420-3111. You can also scan the QR code below. This line is powered by Real Response and will enable university officials to follow up with you anonymously for more information.
For more information on Hazing Prevention, visit this webpage.